WCS’ Approach to MI Learning
• Highly experiential
• Individualized to your work setting and service population
• Peer to Peer: our lead trainer is a 20+ year service professional with extensive experience providing direct service in criminal justice, education, youth, family, workforce development, AODA treatment, community based and residential treatment settings. Learn more about Shawn here.
• Evidence + Experience: our training approach merges the evidence base of MI with the unique experience and qualifications of each practitioner. We refer to this as the happy merging of Art & Science where the art is you.
• Evolved design: Our training design for the 2-day beginning skills training has evolved over 5 years.
• Individualized booster training approach: Booster trainings are designed based on the unique learning objectives of each learning group.
What is MI?
MI is a collaborative conversation style for strengthening a person's own motivation and commitment to change.
Who can learn MI?
WCS has trained MI to all levels of service from support staff over to clinicians and around to youth mentors, case managers, probation officers, public defenders, and healthcare professions. In brief, anybody who wants to - can learn MI. Here’s a really brief (17 min) and helpful overview of the structures and strategies of MI.
Past & current partners include Wisconsin State Department of Corrections, Milwaukee Wraparound, Racine Workforce Development, St. A, and Wisconsin State Public Defender’s Office.
CONNECT WITH US and receive updates on our upcoming MI trainings.